It may be fall, but we have a busy few weeks ahead. Mark your calendar and come over to the Franciscan Monastery, 1400 Quincy St. NE, Washington, DC 20017 (greenhouse is behind the gift shop) for these events.
Wednesday, September 30, 2015, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Harvested vegetables will be donated to Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB) at 11:30 a.m.
Garden projects (meet near the greenhouse):
- Herb Gardens: weeding in the gardens in front of the monastery and in the culinary herb garden (in Fr. Francis’ Garden)
- Perennial Garden: weeding
Rose Garden: weeding and deadheading (Fr. Francis’ Garden)
Vegetable Garden: weeding around the upper corn bed and middle main vegetable garden; around the chives, Swiss chard and middle tomato bed
- Top-dress the following with a shovel-full or two of mushroom mulch: the relatively young tomatoes, upper squash bed, Joe A.’s vegetable bed
- Apply mushroom mulch to all plants
- Pinch back sucker growth on tomato plants, including tomato bed near catnip/catmint and below sunflowers
- For all rows NOT planted in garden fabric, using a hoe or the like, create furrows between rows to facilitate watering
- Planting lettuce seeds in rows in open areas in upper squash bed
- Harvesting, packaging & distribution of vegetable produce
- Fill watering lids in lower tomato bed for birds to reduce “tomato pecking”
- Compost bins – soak compost soil with water and cover with black vegetable felt (to heat weed seeds)
Thursday, October 1, 2015, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
Move Luminaria from Rosary Portico to root cellar
Saturday, October 3, 2015, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
Same projects as Wednesday, with two exceptions: move Luminaria from Rosary Portico to root cellar and harvested vegetables will be donated to the Iona Senior Services Center (Tenleytown) at 1 p.m.
SAVE THE DATE: FMGG General Meeting
Saturday, October 17, 2015. 9:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- 9:30 am – 10:30 a.m., Greenhouse Meeting Room (Upper Level)
Review 2015 season including financial updates, garden tours, vegetable garden, etc.
Discuss lessons learned: what went well and what may be improved for 2016 season
- 10:30 a.m.–11:30 a.m., St. Bonaventure Conference Room
Canning fruit preserve demo – Donna Cestone
- 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m., Greenhouse picnic tables or St. Bonaventure Conference Room (inclement weather)
Autumn Pot Luck Luncheon (bring your favorite dish!)